Thursday, January 31, 2013

It was fascinating to me that a tsunami could appear as an ordinary wave in the depth of the ocean a




Growing up, I remember sitting in a tiny farm down of a few thousand people in the middle of Missouri thousands of miles from the ocean and having to learn about tsunamis.  The lessons were integrated so we had to know how to spell it on the spelling test, we had to know how they had hurt different societies in the past through death and devastation for history and social studies, and we had to know the causes and warning signs for science.
It was fascinating to me that a tsunami could appear as an ordinary wave in the depth of the ocean and that you were safest out in the water if you were far enough karate lessons in orange city florida away from land otherwise you needed to be on the highest, karate lessons in orange city florida most stable ground you could find.  The paradox of that stuck with me.  Who d have thought the safest place against water was floating on top of the deepest water you could find?  It make sense.
I have no idea why this was part of our education, especially given that we were nowhere near the Atlantic or Pacific, but it was drilled into this small nine year old boy a couple of decades ago.  I can still see the page on the textbook, which I know now is a famous Ukiyo-E of the 19th century called In the Hollow of a Wave off the Coast at Kanagawa  By Hokusai (1760-1849).
So when I see the video like this the boats capsized on the beach and the piers now as tall as trees every fiber of my being screams, karate lessons in orange city florida RUN! even though there are no visible warning signs that would indicate mass death and destruction is about to follow.
This caused me to reflect.  That same year, we also learned efficient farming methods to prevent crop death and erosion. karate lessons in orange city florida  I can still see the test paper it was blank, with boxes, and cartoon outlines of hills on a farm.  We had to draw the different planting methods based on the soil analysis and rain patters (e.g., swirling from the top of the hill, instead of planting in long lines over the hill, can result in greater top soil retention, karate lessons in orange city florida how to properly fertilize soil, the importance of cover crops, how to create lines of trees as windbreakers to protect the more lucrative harvests).
And we were taught to look for signs of animal karate lessons in orange city florida behavior changes if you suddenly find yourself in an area where the birds have disappeared, or its gone quiet, pay attention.  Though no empirical proof has been found due to the impractical nature of studying such a phenomenon, anecdotal evidence throughout history has indicated that certain types of earthquakes might have signs that different animals can sense before humans .
(The most famous case is the 1975 earthquake in Haicheng city.  In the months leading up to the quake, there were constant reports of bizarre animal behavior.  Officials were hesitant to do anything but then a small series of tremors hit and, better safe than sorry, the city was emptied.  The next day, a 7.3 magnitude quake hit.)  If you re home alone and the dog starts suddenly growling at the back door, you might grab a gun and call the police.  That sort of thing.  Be aware of your surroundings and don t rely solely on your own sense.  In this same tsunami video, that means when you saw the locals run, you should karate lessons in orange city florida be running, too.  Ask questions on the way.
I have  no  idea what the curriculum committee was thinking.  While everyone else was trying things like new math and everybody gets a medal , we were doing integrated, reinforcing lesson plans mixed with real-world, practical knowledge.  And there was competition.  Once a year, the entire school shut down for a field day where they handed out blue ribbons for first, red ribbons for second, and green ribbons for third place based on a wide variety of athletic challenges.  It was so much fun.  It had a celebration-like atmosphere.  That was the first time I remember thinking, Yeah I have no advantage at this whole rope climbing thing but I m awesome at the intellect stuff.  I should probably karate lessons in orange city florida focus on it.
I recall you blogging about how the public school system was terrible (maybe it was Kansas karate lessons in orange city florida instead of Missouri?), so your parents hired a retired teacher to tutor you, even when they were cash-strapped. I wouldn t put it past your school to have brilliant directors and teachers who understand epistemology and how to engage students, but maybe the tsunamis were simply required in the standards of the time. Maybe it was government-mandated teaching karate lessons in orange city florida objectives?
No, the story you are thinking of is when I was still in pre- pre-school age. Around 3 or so my parents sent me to a retired teacher to give me a huge head start. She taught us to read and we had all sorts of adventures in our little class, karate lessons in orange city florida like learning how to use a ruler and stuff. It was a huge advantage karate lessons in orange city florida because by the time I entered the public school system, I was years ahead. Looking back, my parents should have just had me skip a few grades because I (foolishly) never said anything but sat there, did the work, and used my spare time to read whatever else interested me. My life turned out great, though, so I can t complain. Who knows where I would be or what I would be doing had that not happened.
The school district in which I grew up was good in a lot of ways, but the Kansas City district is the worst in the nation. I also have several friends who are teachers karate lessons in orange city florida and one of the districts in the suburb where I live now is so bad that they had to use picture books instead of reading advanced novels karate lessons in orange city florida in high school (I m working on a post about that last one).
Schools, nowadays, are forced karate lessons in orange city florida to teach to the lower-performing students, and although it may have some advantages, in overall I think it just makes the complete education system weaker. Good and/or motivated students will learn most of their knowledge outside karate lessons in orange city florida schools, leaving karate lessons in orange city florida the weaker/less motivated students struggling even more inside schools with teachers desperately trying to make them learn, causing a vicious circle Thoughts?
Teaching to the lowest common denominator, I feel you. I taught a science class for a few semesters, and tailored my lessons so the majority of my students could keep up. Problem is the sharper, motivated students got bored at the pace, while the slower and/or slackers who don t go to lecture couldn t keep up. And I was just a TA for grad school I can t imagine how teachers do this for a lifetime career.
I m not aghast at the condition of America s education system (it s not exactly a secret) as much as I m surprised that this is happening in Joshua s backyard. From the pictures he s posted of his home, it s not a mansion but it s certainly karate lessons in orange city florida not run-down or small. I would ve guessed that the property taxes from his area would attract higher-quality karate lessons in orange city florida teachers and better karate lessons in orange city florida resources for students, that s all. Plus, I never thought of KC as a terrible place for education. Hell, I spent a large number of my formative years in Mississippi , so I assumed Kansas/Missouri was at least average.
That s why I m guessing it has to do with mismanagement and close-mindedness. IIRC, a school board out of Kansas was the reason the Flying Spaghetti Monster was created as a mockery of the board s circular logic.
Ah, I get the confusion. karate lessons in orange city florida It s a other-side-of-the-tracks situation. I bought my current house when I was younger (in my mid 20s) as a starter home, paid a bit more than $300,000 for it and then started writing checks to upgrade it so you re correct about the sociodemographics of my area. It s mostly accountants, doctors, lawyers, and professors. The schools right next to me are how you describe karate lessons in orange city florida far better than average, far better karate lessons in orange city florida college graduate rates, and very good facilities.
A couple of miles away, is the high school I m going to write about. It used to be very good but it was supported by factories that went out over the past 20 years. karate lessons in orange city florida Now, despite karate lessons in orange city florida good funding and good teachers, the sociodemographics of the area just don t care about education because of a policy called social karate lessons in orange city florida promotion . My friends are furious about it because they have no choice but to pass students to the next grade level it is almost impossible to stop it from happening.
I ll try and cover all that in the upcoming post. Just wait until I explain how they are treating literature and grammar. You can t even imagine that policies that have been put in place it gets worse, too. My part of town is planning on splitting the school district or at least having discussions about it into new schools so *our* kids don t have to go to class with *their* kids. I m not kidding. It s just wait for the post. There is so much folly and bad thinking that you ll probably want to be sitting down when I talk about it.
That sounds like everyone s entitled to progress through the levels, even if they can t handle new material built on what they should ve already learned. I m sure a lot of the decision-making karate lessons in orange city florida is spurred by how NCLB handles the purse-strings as well
This site is proudly hosted on liquidweb . There is no other hosting company I would use, and I have experience karate lessons in orange city florida with most of the major names in the industry. For the back story, read why I recommend them so highly .
Membership has its benefits. When you are logged in, you see the most recent version of the site (not an archived cache), you can post comments and join in the discussion, and more! It takes less than 10 seconds to join and basic membership is free.
Growing up, I remember sitting in a tiny farm down of a few thousand people in the middle of Missouri thousands of miles from the ocean and having to learn about tsunamis.  The lessons were integrated so we had to know how to spell it on the spelling test, we had to know [...]
This is the second in a three-part post on narcissism; the topic du jour for our mental model study. karate lessons in orange city florida We ve been talking about narcissism for the past few days and one interesting thread that comes up throughout history is that narcissism, despite being horribly destructive and disruptive, can work, in rare situations, in the favor [...]
I have to publish my About.com content karate lessons in orange city florida for the month before the contract deadline later

No comments:

Post a Comment