Friday, September 28, 2012

Our room had a view of Denali and that night it struck us how lucky we had been .the sea had been li




An Alaska cruise had always been a dream for my husband and me. We planned luxury car rentals in san francisco to make it a retirement gift to ourselves. Unfortunately my husband didn t live to see retirement. He was killed in an accident at age 50.
As we got to know each other we became surprised at the similarities luxury car rentals in san francisco between us. Our husbands both died suddenly luxury car rentals in san francisco within days of each other, our wedding anniversaries were a week apart, my husband s name was Don and her husband s name was Ron. This helped us through all the firsts that can be so difficult in the year following their deaths.
The year went by and Shirlee was getting ready to retire. When I couldn t understand why the thought of upcoming retirement made her seem melancholy luxury car rentals in san francisco she confided that she and her husband had been planning to treat themselves to an Alaskan cruise upon retirement. (Another similarity!)   Now she said I guess it will never happen. I knew just how she felt. So many dreams shattered.
But then inspiration struck and I turned to her and said Why don t WE go? Within a week we were at a travel agency researching our options. We decided to take a two week cruisetour over our wedding anniversaries that were six months away. What a blessing it was to have that to look forward to. We started a countdown. If one of us was having a bad day the other would remind her how many days until Alaska!
Finally the departure day came and we set sail on Coral Princess. It was everything luxury car rentals in san francisco we were hoping for and more. So much to do, so much to see. Strolling the decks, lounging by the pools. We enjoyed the shows, took part in the onboard activities, explored Alaska on shore excursions. The staff was so friendly and helpful.
On what would have been my 33rd anniversary I saw whales jumping and glaciers calving. The seas were so calm we could be close to shore and really get a feeling of the immensity of the glaciers. The captain commented that this was the closest he had ever been.
Then we went ashore and boarded the train and the wonderment continued. On what would have been Shirlee's 41st wedding anniversary we were gazing upon the snow-capped peak of Mt. McKinley. The view was breathtaking. Even the locals were commenting on how clear and blue the sky was around the mountains.
Our room had a view of Denali luxury car rentals in san francisco and that night it struck us how lucky we had been .the sea had been like glass .the weather had been perfect and now we were sitting in our room with a breathtaking view of mountains just outside our window.
WHATEVER luxury car rentals in san francisco YOU DO, YOU MUST GO ON A CRUISE. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A BALCONY, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, GO ON PRINCESS. MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN ON 20 CRUISES, 15 OF THEM ON PRINCESS . THE SERVICE, FOOD, ENTERTAINMENT ROOM SERVICE luxury car rentals in san francisco (ALL INCLUDED) ARE TOPS. TRY IT, YOU LL LIKE IT. THE BEST WAY TO TAKE A VACATION. GOOD LUCK ON
Cruising is addictive and once you take the first you ll be hooked. My husband and I enjoy several cruises each year and it s so much fun on Princess. The staff is great and they make you feel at home and a little spoiled.
vibrant. Onto Alaska via the Princess. Can t say enough for the grand treatment we received from the staff. Sights along the way were breathtaking to say the least. The stops in Alaska were great. I wore my Marine Corp hat and folks where thanking me for serving our country.
The sun shone bright every day, what a great time of year to visit. I have one suggestion luxury car rentals in san francisco to make to all those taking this trip. Try to take the land trip first and then spend the last of your trip aboard the Princess, its much more relaxing after all the riding,ect. We flew out of
Congratulations on your journey and your courage. My husband luxury car rentals in san francisco died at age 47 as we were planning a cruise to Spain and Italy for our 25th anniversary. When he died I canceled all plans; in retrospect, I wish I had gone ahead perhaps a year or two later. BRAVO!
My Mom and I just got home from our trip on the Island luxury car rentals in san francisco Princess It was wonderful ! I am so happy..and teary to read about your very touching travels together. I am sure your husbands were watching over you both
My husband and I took an Alaskan cruise in May, 2004 while he was undergoing chemotherapy. He died in December 2004. I recently took another Alaskan cruise with a recently-widowed friend. While it was bittersweet returning luxury car rentals in san francisco to destinations I d seen with my husband, it brought back a lot of good memories. Good for you ladies in taking this trip and agree that your husbands made sure you had good experiences.
What a wonderful experience for you two! You are so lucky to get to take the retirement cruise in memory of your husbands. I am looking forward to next year when perhaps I can take the Alaska Cruise as my husband and I had planned for our 50th anniversary, luxury car rentals in san francisco but he passed seven weeks prior to our anniversary, so good for you ladies, we still have to go living!
P.S. does Edward have a single man? My husband died in 2001. I found lots who want one night stands and free passage, but no real men. I wish I could find a someone to share a story like Shirlee and Christine. You go, gals!
Do it Sharon!!! Before the cruise I felt like I had to go on living ..after I felt like I started living again. That cruise was a turning point for me. I m not saying I missed my husband any less but I didn t feel like an empty shell anymore.
Thank you all for your comments. Shirleee I are talking about taking another Alaskan cruise. The first time we tried to do and see everything. ( We both needed to keep busy) The next time we want to keep our schedules more open. One thing I have learned .DON T WAIT to do the things you want to do ..that day may never come.
Chris and I have never, not even for a minute, regretted the time and money spent on this trip. It was exactly what we needed at that time in our lives. We met wonderful folks on the ship and fell in love with our cabin boy who was so helpful everytime we got lost.
I am a technical storekeeper crew at princess cruises for 13 years now and i am so happy to read your story. I feel and I am very much inspired to perform my duties although we are indirectly serving luxury car rentals in san francisco our dear guests like you on board princess cruises. May you have more cruises to come.
Such a bittersweet story! You are so right . Don t wait to do the things you want to do!. I just got back from an Alaskan Cruise with my husband, our son and his girlfriend and her parents. luxury car rentals in san francisco What a wonderful way to get to know our future daughter in law and her parents. You are so right . Alaska is an amazing place and Princess is a fantastic cruise line!
You ladies are terrific, you are going on, just as your husbands would have wanted you to do. It s so wonderful to have someone to share this wonderful trip with. Good friends are rare and it sounds like you re both very fortunate to have each other.
I have sailed luxury car rentals in san francisco twice with Princess,both Alaskan cruises. 1st time with my mother, June 2008, 2nd time with my husband, June 2010. Both cruises were beyond words, there just isn t any way to explain to someone who hasn t taken this cruise what it s like. I tried to tell my husband when I got back from cruising with my mother with pictures and all. It didn t come close to what he experienced when him I went. He didn t get it until he was actually on the ship headed for the 49th state. I was hooked on cruising the 1st time I went. Now that my husband has gone, guess what, we will be taking another Alaskan cruise again hopefully soon. So much to see and do, could never get it done in a dozen trips. A golden ticket right about now would be great!!
My family is leaving on Sunday the 23rd to make a momentous trip. Originally it was a memory trip for 4 generations My husband s parents, us, our kids (5 out of the 6 of them), their significant others and the 6 grandchildren.
Now it is going to be even better. The original 17 are all going, but we have now added my husband s neice, her husband and their 5 kids, BUT, before we leave the dock our second oldest is getting married!! By doing it this way we are having an additional 12 people join us before luxury car rentals in san francisco the ship sails for the wedding and then they get off just before sailing.
I agree, we have to make plans for the future, but we also have to do the important things luxury car rentals in san francisco now. My mother died when she was 53 and my dad when he was 65. They had saved for the future, but it never came.
My husband and I and our best friends luxury car rentals in san francisco are going on a cruise around the British Isles next May. It will be a trip of a life time. It will be expensive but what are we saving our money for!! I say do what you want before you can not do it. What a lovely story that you had someone to share your trip with.
I lost my beloved husband in May and cancelled a 40 day cruise we had planned for Oct. However I went ahead and on my own did a 14 day Alaska trip on the beautiful Sapphire Princess. I was lucky to meet a delightful couple who took me under their wing and I never sat alone for dinner or cocktail hour. For Trivia, two wonderful Canadian couples helped me out and we won quite a few and enjoyed our daily mind exercises. All in all, I would have preferred a companion, but alone was OK. I know my husband was with me in spirit. Now I am going to the Panama Canal in December and on a 49 day South America cruise in January, but will not be alone. My girl friend will join me for Panama and the last two legs of S. America. Some old and very special luxury car rentals in san francisco friends will be with me for the entire 49 days and I know, in my heart, so will my husband with whom I cruised over 300 days. Keep on cruising ladies. the world is a big place and our time on this planet is so short.
As the 4 year mark of my husband s death approached I also remembered we had not been able to take that dreamed of vacation to Alaska. My married sister also said why don t we go! and we just returned from a cruise/tour on the Diamond Princess. What a wonderful time we had and for us also Mt. McKinnley also showed luxury car rentals in san francisco her entire beautiful self! Dreams can still come true even if you are only one half of the original whole!
Good

No comments:

Post a Comment